Sam Meers is the President and CEO of a very successful Integrated marketing communications agency that is 21 years old but nearly went broke in 2008. The number of adversities that he has dealt with is mind-boggling. In 1995 both his wife and son were diagnosed with cancer and he later lost both of them to the disease. In 2008, he nearly went broke and his agency shrunk down to 3 people.
How does someone get through this? What went on in his mind to pull through this adversity?
Tune in to learn the secrets of how he overcame these immense challenges. Sam will also share:
- How content marketing is playing a role in his company.
- How to develop an effective content strategy.
- How to engage a prospective client in a conversation that makes you look like a genius that they realize they have to start working with you in order to connect with their clients in a meaningful way.
Listen now and you’ll hear Sam and I talk about:
- (03:50) Introduction
- (05:22) What type of client do you work with
- (07:50) When and how did you start?
- (11:05) Where did you first few clients come from?
- (15:20) How did you manage to keep going after your wife and son died?
- (25:50) When did content marketing start to play a role in your business?
- (30:50) How did you bounce back from the bottom in 2008?
- (38:50) What does a discovery conversation with a client look like
- (46:50) Please explain the importance of having a strong media team
- (52:50) Why did you start your podcast?
- (55:50) Please tell us about one of your biggest mistakes?
- (59:50) What advice would you give to CEO’s who want to embrace content marketing.
More About This Episode
The Bright Ideas podcast is the podcast for business owners and marketers who want to discover how to use online marketing and sales automation tactics to massively grow their business.
It’s designed to help marketing agencies and small business owners discover which online marketing strategies are working most effectively today – all from the mouths of expert entrepreneurs who are already making it big.
About Sam Meers
A strong proponent of advertising and digital strategy to build brands, Sam Meers has developed his marketing communications beliefs through experience. Founding Meers Advertising in 1993, he has witnessed the rapidly evolving integration of traditional and digital communications first-hand. Some of the companies with which the agency works include Assurant, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City, Missouri Gas Energy, HCA Midwest Health System, United Way of Greater Kansas City, Children’s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, 3M, Lead Bank and the National World War I Museum.
Earlier this year, Meers Advertising was recognized by Inc. Magazine as the fastest growing company in Kansas City, Missouri, and the 649th fastest growing company in the nation. The company was also recognized by The Agency Post as the 33rd fastest growing advertising agency in the nation. The Downtown Council of Kansas City named Sam an Urban Hero for the work he and his company have done to revitalize the Urban Core of Kansas City.
Sam posts frequently to his blog and podcast, Smoke & Meers, on the ever-changing advertising and digital marketing scene. His agency has become known for helping clients build their brands, drive customer engagement and product sales.
Meers serves on the Kansas City Board of Governors of the American Association of Advertising Agencies, is a Helzberg Entrepreneurial Mentoring Program Fellow, Vice Chair of Member Engagement at the Central Exchange and is a long-time supporter of Children’s Mercy Hospitals and Clinics.