Do you think you need a fancy website, and business card, and plenty of startup capital to start a business? If you do, you’re dead wrong.
Sam Ovens started his marketing consulting business with no clue of what he was going to sell, no idea who would buy it, no idea how he’d actually deliver the work, and with no savings to speak of.
In this interview, you’ll hear Sam and I talk about:
- (4:37) His number of customers and revenue
- (8:00) His background, and how he got started
- (10:30) His start as a marketing consultant
- (13:00) How he used email to get his first clients
- (16:00) How success led to more success
- (19:00) How he made $10,000 sales, and closed $20,000 deals with $3k/mo in retainer fees
- (23:00) How he used lumpy mail to find his leads
- (25:30) How he delivered services using elance
- (30:30) How he transitioned to a trusted advisor
- (34:30) The difference between a service business and a product business
- (38:30) The cons of a product business
- (40:00) The cost of version 1
- (42:00) His Big Business mindset
- (48:00) How he used Idea Extraction to get his rich niche to tell him their pain
- (51:00) How he researched Property Management
- (58:00) Mistakes he made along the way
More About This Episode
The Bright Ideas podcast is the podcast for business owners and marketers who want to discover how to use online marketing and sales automation tactics to massively grow their business.
It’s designed to help marketing agencies and small business owners discover which online marketing strategies are working most effectively today – all from the mouths of expert entrepreneurs who are already making it big.
About Sam Ovens
Sam Ovens is an Entrepreneur, Marketing Consultant and the founder of SnapInspect – a property inspection app for property management companies.
Sam started as a marketing consultant and used the money from his consulting business as “Cash Float” to start and scale his main business SnapInspect.