The software business – like so many others – is extremely unpredictable. If you’re not careful, it can suck up more time and money than you ever thought possible, and never generate enough cash flow to even get off the ground. But it can also be one of the best businesses, with the potential to progress very quickly from cash-guzzling monster to cash-generating machine.
If this is a business model you’re considering, you’ll want to learn from others who have already had success. Someone like Brennan Dunn, who has taken his Software as a Service (SaaS) business from concept to launch in under four months.
Brennan shares his story, as well as valuable insights for other new businesses (software or not). He provides insights on how to come up with an idea worth developing, how to attract potential buyers and generate cash flow even before your product is ready, and how he structured his marketing automation so that once he started paying for traffic, he got a 10 day ROI on his investment.
Listen now and you’ll also hear Brennan and I talk about:
- (5:00) Introductions
- (7:00) An overview of Planscope
- (11:00) How to come up with a software idea
- (14:00) How he developed his minimum viable product
- (17:30) How to build software if you aren’t a developer
- (20:30) How to attract leads
- (26:00) How to generate cash flow before the product is ready
- (30:00) Lead generation that doesn’t scale
- (33:00) How he created his newsletter each week
- (36:00) How and why he wrote his first book
- (40:00) Why he was able to charge for content that he also gives away
- (43:30) How he’s using drip email to generate leads
- (45:30) How he’s structured his funnel to give a 10 day ROI with LinkedIn paid traffic
- (48:30) Why he chose LinkedIn for paid traffic
- (57:00) An overview of his concierge service product
- (58:00) The biggest benefit of using Infusionsoft vs Mail Chimp
- (1:03:00) An overview of an experiment he’s running for SaaS signups
- (1: 07:00) An overview of how he manages his time
More About This Episode
The Bright Ideas podcast is the podcast for business owners and marketers who want to discover how to use online marketing and sales automation tactics to massively grow their business.
It’s designed to help marketing agencies and small business owners discover which online marketing strategies are working most effectively today – all from the mouths of expert entrepreneurs who are already making it big.
About Brennan Dunn
He is founder of Planscope, a project management software for contracts and freelancers; author of “Double Your Freelancing Rate“; and owner of We Are Titans, a consulting company that focuses on improving their clients’ profits.