By any measure, Josh Ledgard’s software company has become a huge success. In just two years, Kickofflabs.com has attracted 24,000 customers. Josh lets us behind the scenes to show us how Kickofflabs achieved these impressive results.
He shares the groundwork they put in place, including how they came up with the Kickofflabs name, how they defined their target market, and how they used Twitter for research.
Josh also tells how they actually generated all those customers – getting the word out through Quora, directories & lists; reaching out to other people’s audiences; and buying traffic.
For details on exactly how they did all this, as well as what they did for lead conversion and nurturing, you’ll definitely want to give this podcast a listen.
(If you want to learn from other software founders as well, check out all our posts on software development.)
Listen now and you’ll hear Josh and I talk about:
- (05:10) Introduction
- (05:10) Overview of a launch and results they’ve achieved
- (07:10) Overview of how they came up with the company name
- (10:30) Why didn’t they let competition deter them from moving forward
- (15:10) How they used Twitter to do research
- (18:10) How they defined their target market and defined their MVP
- (25:40) Overview of the developments leading to the very first sale
- (28:40) Overview of marketing mistakes they made and lessons learned
- (31:10) How to leverage other people’s audiences
- (33:40) How posting on Quora has impacted their traffic and sales
- (35:40) Some refinements they made for lead generation
- (37:40) How being in directories and lists impacted their revenue
- (39:25) Overview of how they are nurturing their leads to become customers
- (45:00) Explanation of how they are using subject lines in their free 30 day landing page course
- (48:10) How they follow up with costumers that leave and what they learn as a result
- (51:40) How outsourcing has played a role in their organization
- (55:40) Overview of how they are buying traffic
More About This Episode
The Bright Ideas podcast is the podcast for business owners and marketers who want to discover how to use online marketing and sales automation tactics to massively grow their business.
It’s designed to help marketing agencies and small business owners discover which online marketing strategies are working most effectively today – all from the mouths of expert entrepreneurs who are already making it big.
About Josh Ledgard
Josh Ledgard is the co-founder of KickoffLabs – subscription software for landing pages, online forms, and email marketing – and the author of My Toddler Perfects Your Sales Pitch and Landing Pages 107.
Follow Josh on Twitter @joshaledgard.