For some, the idea of a personal stylist may seem like a whimsical dream for movie stars or millionaires. Still, it was something they would like to have, if only it weren’t so expensive.
Bernard Yoo saw an opportunity to cater to this market and launched his company with just a small amount of capital and a great idea. Learn how he made headway in the start-up phase and got accepted into the elite 500 start-ups. From identifying his clientele to learning from failure, Bernard shares how he grew his company and the successes he expects in the future.
Listen now and you’ll hear Bernard and I talk about:
- (02:20) Introductions
- (04:20) How they launched with just 15k
- (05:40) An overview of his background
- (09:45) How they learned about their customer
- (11:40) How their first failure led to the Bombfell idea
- (16:20) What they did after proof of concept was complete
- (19:00) What happened between public beta and getting accepted in 500 Startups
- (21:00) How they calculated lifetime customer value early on
- (25:00) How they got into 500 Startups
- (28:00) How life changed once the investor money started to come in
- (30.11) The activities that caused the most growth
- (31:40) How they were able to get free press
- (35:40) How they employed discount programs with other tech companies
- (39:00) An overview of how they are using paid traffic to drive customer acquisition
- (40:30) What his life is like 2 years into a successful startup
- (44:00) What are the downside(s) of raising investor money
More About This Episode
The Bright Ideas podcast is the podcast for business owners and marketers who want to discover how to use online marketing and sales automation tactics to massively grow their business.
It’s designed to help marketing agencies and small business owners discover which online marketing strategies are working most effectively today – all from the mouths of expert entrepreneurs who are already making it big.
Click to Tweet: How Bernard Yoo Turned a Failed Startup Into a 7 Figure Success
About Bernard Yoo
Bernie Yoo is co-founder of the personalized men’s clothing retailer Bombfell. Bombfell sends men regular shipments of clothes picked just for their size and style by a personal stylist, and has been featured in TIME Magazine, The Wall Street Journal, ABC News, Life & Style Magazine, Forbes, WWD, AskMen and TechCrunch.