From freelance work to owning her own business, Elle Phillips made a living out of self-management.
In her 18 years in graphic design, Elle has worked her way to entrepreneurial success. Though this story itself is worth the podcast, her points on the importance of having a mentor, and becoming one herself, are really great topics as well.
If you’re a freelancer or if you struggle with pricing your services, this is a must-listen.
Listen now and you’ll hear Elle and I talk about:
- (2:25) Introductions
- (4:15) How did you get started freelancing?
- (5:25) Has overseas competition affected your business?
- (7:25) How has mentoring played a role for you?
- (9:55) Tell me how you and Jason began your mentoring relationship
- (14:45) What did you advise Jason to do next?
- (18:55) What type of clients are you attracting?
- (23:25) What advice would you give for designers on how to price their services?
- (26:05) How do you work with clients that don’t know what they want?
- (30:05) What are some of the most common mistakes you see freelancers making?
More About This Episode
The Bright Ideas podcast is the podcast for business owners and marketers who want to discover how to use online marketing and sales automation tactics to massively grow their business.
It’s designed to help marketing agencies and small business owners discover which online marketing strategies are working most effectively today – all from the mouths of expert entrepreneurs who are already making it big.
About Elle Phillips
Elle Phillips is the Owner / Creative Director of Red Couch Creative, inc., a creative design group located in Eagle, Idaho. With her Bachelor of Arts Degree in Visual Communications, she started her professional career at 19 years old and has successfully grown and expanded her graphic design and marketing skills over the last 17 years, most recently as the owner and freelancer of Elle Phillips Design.
She’s worked with a wide variety of clients such as Pepsico, T-Mobile, Verizon, Spraying Systems Co. and VIP Products, among many others. Known for her ability to take on any project with extreme dedication and bring it to completion on deadline with consistency and grace, she has been working as a freelancer and entrepreneur-ette since 2004 with huge success.
Elle is proud of her ability to work with all personality and project types, happily extends her dry sense of humor onto those who don’t necessarily seek it, and enjoys assessing a clients’ needs with an almost psychic-like ability.