Between the work I do via our consulting division and the mastermind group that I lead, I find myself spending a great of time talking about a topic that is near and dear to my heart: How to develop a content marketing strategy.
It’s a topic that I’m very passionate about and I love having these conversations; however, as I’ve only been sharing my thoughts via one-to-one conversations up to this point, I thought it was about time that I stood in front of my whiteboard and filmed what I have been explaining to client after client.
Prior to creating the video, I had a few goals that I wanted to achieve. They are:
- Create a video that will help people who aren’t clients to get started on the right foot
- Create a video that I can have my clients watch before we do our kick off session (saves time)
- Create a video that I can use as a case study for ranking and traffic on Youtube (case study to come)
Click to Tweet: How to Develop a Content Marketing Strategy That Works
In this video, you are going to see me explain:
- How and why to spend time researching a target market first
- How and why to define a buyer persona
- How and why to create a unique selling proposition and content to support it
My Youtube Case Study
A couple of years ago when I was first starting out with content marketing, I created a video that I titled, “How to Start a Business with No Money“. Since publishing this video, it has been watched 426,419 times and is ranked #1 for its keyword on Youtube.
Back then, I really didn’t have a clue what I was doing (from a marketing perspective), but I did know my topic well, so I just fired up my camera and started to explain what was on my mind. I’m happy to say that my unsophisticated approach actually worked quite well. Near as I can tell, the main reason why the video is now ranked #1 on Youtube is because it has received 4,929 thumbs up votes.
In addition to the recognition generated from the 426,419 views, the video has also generated thousands of leads for me. As of this writing, I get about 20 leads a day from this video, and those leads translate into about $800/mo in revenue from sales of my information products.
When it comes to passive income, the video has been a raging success!
Now the question is: can I replicate my success?
Since publishing my new content marketing strategy video today, I kept track of everything that I have done to promote the video, and, over the next month as I continue to promote it, I will keep a log of everything that I do so that, in a month, I can publish a case study with the results of my experiment.
If you are not yet a subscribe and want to notified when that post is live, please be sure and become a subscriber today.
My hope is that, like my earlier video, this video will eventually rank #1 for “content marketing strategy” and turn into a passive income workhorse like the old video has. To help me with that, I would love it if you give it a “thumbs up” on Youtube and share it on your social networks. Thanks, you rock!
- Learn video marketing tips from the founder of Wistia
- How to Get Started with Content Marketing
- How Content Marketing Led to a $5,000 Retainer Client
- The Digital Marketing Handbook
- Secrets to Developing a Digital Content Strategy
Questions or Comments?
Do you have a questions or an opinion to share? Please do so in the comments below. I read them all!